Thursday, June 25, 2015

Travel Weekend

Just a little update for you all!!

This weekend is a long weekend here Chile, because Monday is el Día de San Pedro y San Pablo (Day of St. Peter and Paul), which is recognizing the fisherman. This is obviously a big day here in Chile, since fishing is such a large industry. Since we have the long weekend, a group of us interns decided to take a little trip!

We are heading to La Serena, a beautiful beach city about 7 hours north of here. We will be taking a bus Friday afternoon after work, and spending the weekend there and returning on Monday. We have some great things planned! Just north of La Serena is Punta de Choros, an area where we will have water access and go on a boat tour of Isla Choros, Isla Damas, and the National Penguin Reserve. Yep, I said penguins! It is crazy to think there are penguins in the northern part of Chile, but there are! There are also dolphins, sea lions, and some cool birds. I think that'll be a fun trip, because it is something unique! Instead of being just another city or another beach, there is actually something neat and different! We got a great deal on a tour for that, and it also includes an evening at the Mamalluca Observatory. The skies in northern Chile are super clear and beautiful, so it'll be cool to experience seeing the stars! Especially because I never see the stars here since we are in the city!

It should be a fun weekend! I'm not bringing my computer with, so you probably won't see a blog post from me until Tuesday!! Maybe I will try to upload a little something from my phone.

In other news, Chile won their quarterfinal Copa América game last night in wild fashion. 1-0 with that only goal coming with about 10 minutes remaining! It was crazy and the teams were bickering and fighting the whole game. It reminded me of hockey! Ha. It is so cool to see how passionate all the fans are here, and how excited they got that Chile is now in the semifinals! I am quickly falling in love with soccer and have learned so much from watching it with my Chilean friends! I am picking up on the Chilean cheers, chants, and even the national anthem.

Here's a snapshot of Katie and me before leaving her house to go watch the game! Her host family's dog Honey made a guest appearance as well. HAHA


Hanging out with my main man Alexis Sanchez at the supermarket. Clearly I have become very passionate about fútbol as well ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment