Saturday, June 6, 2015

Relaxing Saturday

Today was the first day since I got here that I have not had to set an alarm, and it felt so amazing!!! I slept until almost 11am which is crazy for me, but I definitely needed it. I have been running like crazy the past two weeks.

I got up eventually and cleaned my room (which also definitely needed it) and ran some quick errands. It was a BEAUTIFUL day so I headed to the beach with my book, grabbed an ice cream cone, and spent the afternoon on the beach. It was so perfect. The sun was shining, lots of people were out and about, and the waves were moving like crazy! It was high tide, and the water was up higher than I have ever seen it here! I actually had to sit on the grass above the boardwalk instead of the sand like I had planned. The waves were coming up all the way to the boardwalk every once in a while!


Another cool thing about my afternoon on the beach is that one of the sand sculptors came out and was starting a sculpture near me! So I got to see him start with literally a pile of dirt, and then turn it into a cool sculpture! He was making a mermaid riding on a dolphin. I took a time-lapse video of the first part of him sculpting. He left and took a break so I stopped recording, but he did come back and was almost finished with it when I left. So cool! So here is the time lapse I took. Hopefully it will play for you :)


Now I am at Starbucks enjoying some coffee and the sunset from a distance. This Starbucks is about a block from the beach so I can kind of see the sun setting through the trees. I am catching up on some photos and blogging, and then I will head home to see what my roommates are up to. They went to Valpo for the day and were doing the Tours 4 Tips walking tour, which I have already done so I opted to stay here and have a relaxing day of nothing. Tomorrow I think Katie and I are going to La Campana, a national park here, and hiking up the mountain/hill thing! It is a big climb, but I have heard the views are gorgeous and I think it will be a fun day. 

Yesterday I left work about an hour early and joined the other girls on an excursion with the International Center. Karina (my teacher) said I could come even though I am not taking classes anymore. We went to Valparaíso and took a boat tour around the port! It was really cool. I have never seen those big cargo ships up close, and we even got to be really close to some big fat sea lions! There was a guide on the boat too which was nice so he told us a lot about the history of the port. Valpo used to be the most important port in South America, because before the Panama Canal, people had to sail around the southern tip of South America to get from New York to California, and so Valpo was the first big port they encountered after coming around to the west side of South America so all the ships had to stop here. After the canal, their business died down some but they are still an extremely busy port. The water is SUPER deep right up to the edge so the ships come in really close to the land which is cool too. Here are a few pictures from that!






No comments:

Post a Comment