Monday, June 8, 2015

Happy Monday!

Yesterday Katie, Natalie, and went to La Campana National Park and hiked up the mountain there! It was so amazing. I will do a blog post about that when I get all my photos synced and uploaded. It takes a while to do that here because the internet is not the fastest thing I have ever used.

Today was a typical Monday! Headed off to work and did my thing there. We have another new Chilean intern at Comin. His name is Rodrigo and he is a little bit older, but he was super nice and seems like he will be a really good therapist. He has interned with Mati before. He lives in Villa and is a tennis professor at a tennis academy here! He actually has two students who are currently in the US going to college and playing tennis, so that is kind of cool. He starts teaching them when they are just little kids and keeps coaching some of them throughout the years. We had a lot of new patients today, so I did not get to do too much because it was mostly evaluations. We also have a lot of low back patients right now which involve a lot of just hooking people up to machines and then letting them sit there and relax for 20-30 minutes.

Mati also works at a clinic here in Viña, and he told me he had patients there tonight so I could come with him if I wanted to. It is only like 4 blocks from our house so I decided to go and I really liked it! It is a totally different setting which is neat to see. It is more of a private practice place, so he is 1-on-1 with the patients instead of with multiples, and it is also a personal training place so the exercise area is a lot bigger and they have a lot more equipment. Since he just had the one patient and I was his only intern, he was able to take the time to explain a lot of stuff to me and let me do some stuff hands on. We were working with a woman who has issues in her TFL, which has led to having issues with plantar fasciitis in her foot. I learned a lot because she had a lot of visible and feelable symptoms. He also taught me how to do manual therapy massage for the TFL and then let me do it, which was super cool. I could feel the tension and tightness in her muscle moving out of it as I massaged which was such a cool feeling. I was at that clinic with him for around two hours and then came back home.

Natalie and I made pizza and pasta for dinner, and now I am just hanging out at home going through my pictures from yesterday and needing to start my PT homework for the week! One interesting thing is that it has not rained once since I got here, which is so weird to me because everything I read said that Chile is SUPER rainy during the winter. I asked the Chileans about it at work and they said this winter is SO strange and that the farmers are really struggling because there has been no rain! None of the ski resorts are open yet either because there hasn't been rain which means it hasn't snowed much up in the mountains! Definitely strange, but I am fine with the warm and sunny weather! Mati said that when it rains here, it tends to either rain SUPER hard for an entire day, or else it will lightly rain for like 3 straight days. There is no in between. Haha.

I will try to blog about my hiking adventures soon! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment