Thursday, June 18, 2015

La Casa

Since I have been here for over a month now, I suppose I should give you all an inside look at where I have been living!

I live in a shared 3-bedroom/1-bathroom apartment-style house with two other interns. I lived with Laura and Grace for my first couple of weeks, and now I live with Natalie and Mahathi. Since we all start our internships on different days and stay for different periods of time, it is kind of an in/out apartment with interns coming and going.

We live in a great location!  Our house is two blocks from the beach, 5 blocks from the mall/movie theater, less than a block away from a supermarket, and one block from a panadería. The only far thing that I use a lot is the metro station, which is about 20 minutes away.

Here is our cute little yellow house!


 I will now take you on a mini tour!

This is the view when you walk in the front door. We have a large, wooden dining room table with benches to the left, and this area leads into the living room. We have three very retro couches, a nice coffee table, a TV and DVD player, and a full body mirror. Also seen in this photo is our space heater, aka Estufa. He is so great and will be getting his own blog post dedicated to him later on. Stay tuned for more information on him. Two bedrooms branch off this common area to the right. 

We will continue our tour by walking down the hallway on the far end of this photo.

Take a left, and you will find yourself in our one and only bathroom! We only have one bathroom which is inconvenient at times, especially when there were 4 of us living here for one week, but it is a very large and spacious bathroom. It comes fully equipped with a bathroom, extremely large shower, strange-colored porcelain sink, and a plastic laundry tub. We do not have a washing machine so laundry is done by hand, or can be dropped off at a local laundry place where they wash, dry, and fold it for you and return it a few days later. Another interesting thing is that our water heater is run with gas. Unbeknownst to us, it ran out of gas my second week here and so we had cold showers for a couple days as we just waited for it to come back. Then we realized we needed to ask Williams to bring more gas. HA! I won't bore you with more bathroom photos. It looks like, well . . . a bathroom.

Down the hallway on the right, you will find the kitchen!

This is the place where the pretend cooking happens. It is a bit small and does not have much cupboard space, but we do not need many dishes since we have to wash them after every meal anyways. We have a gas stove/oven which is something very different for me! I have never had to light a burner or the oven with a match before, but it works! We also have a fridge, microwave, toaster oven, blender, and coffee maker so we have a lot of options in that regard. The house is furnished so there are plates, cups, silverware, pots/pans, tupperware, etc. provided which is nice. A lot of it is really old, but it works!

Here are a couple additional angles of the kitchen.



Branching off the kitchen, we have our open-air patio space! It is kind of like a mini storage, junk area, but it is nice to have somewhere to get some sunshine or fresh air. And of course, a place to dry our laundry! This is actually the view out my bedroom window. Haha GORGEOUS. And no, that toilet is not functioning. Though that might come in handy sometimes.


At the very end of the hallway past the bathroom and kitchen, you will find the best room in the house: my room!

Here it is! My favorite thing in the house, MY BED. I am always so exhausted here and cannot wait to get into my bed and be warm and snuggly. Unfortunately I end up staying up way later than I usually plan. Haha. I usually pass out within about 10 minutes of laying down. It is suprisingly comfy, though I do wish I had more than one pillow. My room is very large and spacious, which is nice. But I really do not have that much stuff to fill it. I have a big window that looks out to our storage patio, so it does not have a view but it does let sunshine in which is super great. The floor is tile though and so it is FREEZING at all times, especially in the mornings. Houses here do not have heating, so they get very chilly overnight and during the cooler days. It gets down into the low 40's right now overnight, so when I wake up in the morning, the air outside my blankets is so cold and I never want to come out! There is a cleaning lady who comes to our house once a week and cleans the common areas, and she also changes our sheets! It is funny because Laura had been here for a long time and she would always go around to our beds to see if anyone had sheets that she had not gotten yet. I just got my first repeat set this past week!

Here is the view from my bed.
I have a large dresser/closet space, the fold-up hamper I brought from home, and a bookshelf where I have unpacked all of my miscellaneous supplies. I also used to have a wooden chair in the other corner of my room, but we moved it to the kitchen because there were only two chairs in there which was inconvenient when Laura and Grace and I would sit down for dinner. It is a nice cozy room and I really like it!

Once you hit the end of the hall, you reach my room and the end of the house! So there you have it! A full tour of the little yellow house. It is very old, but it is cozy and welcoming. Walls are shared here between houses so sometimes we can hear the neighbors on various sides of us. I share a wall with the people behind us, and I feel like it is a business of some sort because they have a phone that rings quite frequently, and I can hear an automatic paper towel dispenser. Haha! And once in a while I hear babies. We also have two cats who sometimes hang out on our roof and I hear them howling at each other sometimes!

Hope you enjoyed this high-class tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment