Thursday, June 18, 2015

A Perfect Day

Yesterday started out like any other routine day at work, but then Katie and I decided to meet up and hang out in the afternoon, and it turned into such a PERFECT afternoon.

She met me at the metro station after work and then we walked to Pig Waffles for lunch (see previous blog post with delicious looking PB&J waffle). But Pig Waffles also has healthier waffles, and we decided to try their real food waffles. It was the strangest thing because I am so used to eating waffles with sweet toppings like syrup or fruit, but mine was filled with bacon, cheese, spinach, caramelized onions, garlic sauce, and pickles! It was SO GOOD.




We ate outside at a table in the sunshine and chatted for a while and made some plans for next weekend. It was SO gorgeous outside! Then we walked to the mall because Katie needed a couple of things and I wanted to look at suitcases. I have decided that it is going to be much easier and a lot cheaper if I just buy another small suitcase here to take back with me. I am allowed to check 2 bags for free, and only brought one, so the only extra expense is the actual suitcase. My bag coming here was 48 pounds and the limit is 50, so I feel like there is NO way I would still be under 50 coming back, and the weight fees are ridiculous. So instead of stressing and trying to cram one bag, and probably ending up paying a large fee, I can invest that money in a suitcase and then I will end up with a suitcase out of the deal, and a lot less stress.

We walked around the mall for a while and explored, and then went to Lider, which is like the Wal-Mart here. I don't go there very often because we live less than a block from a supermarket here, but I wanted to just browse around the whole store and see what they really have because it is SO big and I am usually in a rush. Katie and I browsed through there and I found some GREAT things including American pancake mix, actual shredded cheese (which is impossible to find here), microwave popcorn, ranch dressing (AHH) and sour gummi worms. Since Lider is owned by Wal-Mart, they have a lot more US-type products than a normal supermarket here would, which is kind of nice. I have been trying to not be all American with my food and eat other things, but there are a few necessary things like ranch, because all the other salad dressings here are disgusting. It was a successful grocery trip for sure.

By that time, the sun was getting close to setting so we decided to walk to our favorite ice cream place near the beach and get ice cream and watch the sunset. The ice cream was amazing as always, and so was the sunset. We sat on the rocks above the beach eating our ice cream and laughing as it melted all over the place.


As we were walking back towards our houses, we passed by this little empanada cafe with over 40 different types of empanadas! The curiosity was too hard to resist, so we stopped in for a quick empanada. With 40 options, it took FOREVER to decide but I decided on a shrimp, bacon, and cheese empanada. It was DELICIOUS. Katie got one with chorizo (sausage) and something inside and it looked pretty good. They also had sweet empanadas with manjar and chocolate and such which I thought was interesting.


Que RICO!

After the empanada stop, we actually headed home. It was such a great afternoon. Definitely not a typical day for me, because I rarely eat out, let alone 3 times in one day, but they were all just little snacky type things and it was SO delicious and Chilean. We had some great conversations and laughs and made a bucket list of the things we still need to do in Chile before we leave since we both came and will leave on about the same day. It is crazy to think how quickly the time is winding down!

No comments:

Post a Comment