Monday, July 6, 2015

Internship Update

I made it back to Viña after my adventurous weekend in Buenos Aires! I have almost 300 pictures to sort through, but I thought I would write a post updating you on my internship!

Rodrigo and Fernando have both finished their DUOC internships, so now it is just Mati and me at the clinic! Today was the first day with just us two. My internship is going very well. We get new patients almost every day, and I am learning new things and catching on to old things. I can't believe I only have a few days left! I am not at all ready to leave yet, but that's life!

Like I said before, I work at COMIN Centro Medico in Villa Alemana! I have finally taken a few photos at work to share.


Here is a photo of the rehabilitation room we have! It is pretty small, but gets the job done! To the left there are 3 exam beds/rooms as well. The equipment may not be as high tech as it is in the US, but it still works and accomplishes the same goals.

I take the metro to work every day, so here is a snapshot of that!! It runs both underground and above ground. This is at the Villa Alemana station, which is above ground obviously. It is very modern, comfortable, and safe.

Sneak peek at the inside of the metro. It is very empty like this when I ride in the mornings, but it is PACKED in the afternoons.

Here is the metro station in Viña! It is underground at this point on the line.

Look! I am actually working, not just traveling. Haha. I am a master at bicep stretching, which you can see here. We have a lot of rotator cuff patients, and I have learned a lot about their treatment plans and stretching. 

I am also getting very good with ultrasounds! I know the different settings for various muscles and depths and locations of application. One of my patients was SO cute the other day. It was her first day of therapy and I came in with the machine and said I was going to do an ultrasound and her eyes got big and she goes, "Oh no, I am positive I am not pregnant!" SO PRECIOUS.

The patients here are SO cute and sweet. I am so glad I have gotten to work with them, and I think that being able to work with the Chilean people has really given me a good insight into their culture because they are all different and come from different backgrounds. One thing they have in common though is how kind and welcoming they are. They say the cutest things to me and love to bring homemade sweets and goodies. Today one of our patients brought some homemade bread and pebre, seen above! SO DELICIOUS. Those little old ladies make the best food. I am really going to miss the warm hearts of all the Chileans. Even random people I meet on the street are so kind and genuine. There is something very special about their culture.

Another fun thing I get to do at work a lot is look at radiography! I love to look at the images and see if I can find faults or abnormalities before looking at the informe from the radiologist. I snap pictures of the clear, interesting ones once in a while! Most of them are old school and on actual x-ray paper, but some of them come on CD's as well.


So there's a little inside look at what I do every day! I love it so much and it makes me excited to know that this is for sure what I want to do for the rest of my life. I am definitely going to miss the staff and patients at COMIN!


No comments:

Post a Comment