Saturday, July 11, 2015

Buenos Aires: Day 1

My plane landed at around 2pm on Friday afternoon and I got to our B&B at around 3:30pm. If you have never used Airbnb when traveling, I highly recommend checking it out! I have used it multiple times on this trip and it has been so great. Instead of staying in a hostel or hotel, you stay at a person's apartment that they rent out on the regular. It is nice to have your own space and they are usually in great locations and have great views. 

Paul came from work and met me about a half hour later and we began our adventures! Since we still had a few hours of daylight, we went to downtown Buenos Aires and saw the typical touristy things: Casa Rosada, El Obelisco, Puente de la Mujer, Plaza de Mayo, Teatro Colon, etc. It was very nice because Paul works in Buenos Aires so he knows the city and the public transportation well, so we were able to efficiently cover a lot of space in a short amount of time! It was a beautiful night out and we were walking through the city just catching up about life and comparing things between Chile and Argentina. It was super interesting to me how different the people and the city were, even though I was still in South America! As we were walking back to our metro stop, we passed by the cathedral and Paul was super excited because it was actually open! He had never seen it open before so we went inside and it was AMAZING. The church was huge and beautiful and filled with exquisite details. Definitely a lucky find! We explored there for a while and then headed back to our B&B to buy some food and get ready for the night. 

After that, we went to a restaurant across BA that Paul really wanted to check out. It was a Milanesa restaurant, which is a very typical dish in Argentina that Paul LOVES. It was my first milanesa and I instantly loved it as well. It is basically a big slab of breaded meat and then can have different sauces, spices, vegetables, etc. on top to give it a unique flavor. Check it out!



That was definitely a great start to Buenos Aires! We hung out at the restaurant for a while having some drinks and just chatting, and then decided to head to the Palermo neighborhood and go out for the night. We covered a TON of ground on Friday, and I ended the day with over 30,000 steps on my fitbit! I can't believe we did all the things we did in those few hours we had on Friday. Got all the touristy stuff out of the way! Paul was loving it too because he tries not to be touristy most of the time because he lives there, but he got the chance to take some pictures and do touristy things that are weird to do when he's alone, which I totally understand because I have the same issue here! I will be walking along and see something really cool, but I feel so stupid stopping to take a picture when I am all by myself walking to work! Ha.

Here are a few pics from Day 1!


Plaza de Mayo and La Casa Rosada

Puente de la Mujer

Inside the Cathedral

El Obelisco/Capital


It was so fun exploring the city at night when all the buildings were lit up! I love exploring big cities, and it was fun because I live in a city here in Chile, but BA is WAY bigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment